Underbelly is a UK-based live entertainment company that runs several festivals and events across the country. Underbelly understands that the events that it manages have environmental, social and economical impacts. It is therefore committed to the development, implementation and continual improvement of a sustainable event management system to minimise any negative impacts of its operations.
Underbelly’s approach is to embed sustainable management principles across all events for which it is responsible.
Underbelly’s sustainable event management principles are:
- Integrity & Ethical Behaviour: To act ethically and with integrity in our event operations with regard for the law and without bias, including in our dealings with our employees, customers, suppliers and towards society and the environment.
- Inclusivity & Accessibility: To produce high quality events that are inclusive and accessible to people of all ages, backgrounds and abilities.
- Environmental Performance: To minimise the impact of events on the environment.
- Collaboration & Transparency: To collaborate and build relationships with stakeholders and the general public and to ensure that all stakeholders have access to all relevant information about event operations.
- Legality: To meet and exceed all applicable legal and regulatory requirements in all activities.
- Stewardship: To show leadership and best practice in sustainable event management.
Underbelly is committed to continual improvement and will monitor its performance against agreed sustainability objectives.
What can you do to help?
We're busy behind the scenes doing as much as we can to realise our ambitions, but we need your help us to make our festival greener and cleaner, so here's some things you can do before, during and after our events;
Travelling to our events
- If you don't live in Edinburgh consider the most sustainable way to travel here and back home. If air travel is your most suitable option, please consider your route carefully by booking direct flights where possible.
- Make use of public transport when possible (you can visit Lothian Buses, Edinburgh Trams, or First Edinburgh, Scotrail, Citylink among others);
- If you have to travel in a vehicle, please consider car share schemes, such as LiftShare or Tripshare. Please note that Edinburgh’s Christmas does not have any on site parking.
- Walk to and from the events when possible. Most of our events take place in the heart of the city and are easier and quicker to reach by foot! Walkit Edinburgh is a great resource for planning your journey to a venue, displays the route, time it will take you and the CO2 you will save.
- When travelling around the City, try cycling. You can plan your journey at Cyclestreets.
Staying in Edinburgh
When considering where to stay in Edinburgh, research which accommodation providers have committed to reducing their environmental impact through the Green Tourism Business Scheme;
- Dispose of your waste responsibly by using the recycling systems in place.
- Recycle any Festival brochures or leaflets when you are finished with them.
- Reuse cups at the bars and food outlets as many times as you can.
- Visit our website, or sign up to our Facebook, Instagram and Twitter pages for event updates so we can reduce the amount of print material we produce.
- Tell all your friends about the importance of helping us with all of this to reduce the impact Edinburgh's Christmas has on the environment.